Items and Equipment, Lunar Guidance
By repeated request, here is a listing of pre-raiding gear to help you prepare for Naxxramas, organized by item slot and roughly ordered by my preference/recommendation. Because this is so lengthy, I’m breaking this article into two parts. Part II will include wrist, back, fingers, neck, and waist.
- [Helm of Anomalus] – Anomalus in the Nexus (Heroic)
Leather, both a meta socket and a yellow socket, and among the highest Spell Power for an ILevel 200 helm make this my first choice of hats pre-raiding.
- [Crown of Unbridled Magic] – Cache of Eregos in the Oculus (Heroic)
I consider this to be pretty closely tied with the similarly itemized [Forgotten Shadow Hood] (they essentially trade Intellect and Spirit). I prefer the socket bonus on this one (12 Stamina vs. 8 Haste Rating). Contains meta and yellow sockets.
- [Forgotten Shadow Hood] – Salramm the Fleshcrafter in The Culling of Stratholme (Heroic)
Slightly less attractive than the [Crown of Unbridled Magic], this is the higher Spirit and lower Intellect of the two. Contains meta and blue sockets.
- [Elder Headpiece] – Elder Nadox in Ahn’kahet: The Old Kingdom (Heroic)
No socket on this item but a very respectable 91 Spell Power and astounding 77 Intellect make this a good choice.
- [Cowl of the Dire Troll] – Trollgore in Drak’Tharon Keep (Heroic)
No socket on this helm either, but an excellent 78 Spirit.
- [Silent Spectator Shoulderpads] – Svala Sorrowgrave in Utgarde Pinnacle (Heroic)
These shoulders are the only ILevel 200 option in leather, have the highest Spirit of all three, and include a blue socket.
- [Runecaster’s Mantle] – Utgarde Keep (Heroic) Zone Drop
A yellow socket (worth approximately 16 Intellect for a blue-quality gem) makes this slightly more attractive than the [Mantle of Deceit] .
- [Mantle of Deceit] – Dark Runed Chest in the Culling of Stratholme (Heroic)
Although this shoulder piece lacks sockets, it has seven more Intellect and fourteen more Stamina than the [Runecaster’s Mantle], at the cost of 2 Spirit.
- [Heroes’ Dreamwalker Robe] – 80 x Emblem of Heroism
Leather, sockets, and half of the way there to the 2-piece set bonus! If you can get this, do so!
- [Moonshroud Robe] – Tailoring (BoE)
A perfect balance of stats with no itemization points wasted on spell crit or spell haste. All wrapped up in a pretty blue, belly-bearing package! The downside is definitely the cost. If you have the patience, it’s better to save your Heroic badges for the [Heroes’ Dreamwalker Robe].
- [Ymirjar Physician’s Robe] – Utgarde Pinnacle (Heroic) Zone Drop
This item is essentially a watered-down, leather version of the Moonshroud Robe with 12 less Intellect, 12 less Spirit, and 14 less Spell Power. Still, you can likely pick this piece up for around 200 gold which is substantially less than you can expect to pay for [Moonshroud Robe].
- [Bauble Woven Gown] – Quest Reward from Junk in My Trunk
If you prefer to gear up through questing and instancing, this is a good option. Has 13 less Intellect, 24 less Stamina, 21 fewer Spirit, and 24 less Spell Power than the [Moonshroud Robe].
- [Raiments of the Titans] – Loken in Halls of Lightning (Normal)
Similar to the [Bauble Woven Gown], this item trades 3 Intellect and 9 Spirit for 8 Stamina and a yellow gem slot.
- [Wildscale Breastplate] – Leatherworking (BoE)
The Wildscale Breastplate is sadly lacking on Stamina and has itemization points wasted on critical strike. Included here because so many Druids also happen to be leatherworkers.
- [Heroes’ Dreamwalker Handguards] – 60 x Emblems of Heroism
Between this and the [Heroes’ Dreamwalker Robe] (purchaseable with 80 Emblems of Heroism), you can start raiding with the 2-piece T7 set bonus and halfway to the 4-piece bonus to Nourish. The stats are great, too!
- [Gloves of Token Respect] – Grand Widow Faerlina or Gluth in Naxxramas (Heroic)
These are actually statistically superior the [Heroes’ Dreamwalker Handguards] but the set bonuses from the Dreamwalker set make them my first choice.
- [Overlook Handguards] – The Prophet Tharon’ja in Drak’Tharon Keep (Heroic)
Nearly identical to the [Moonshroud Gloves] (but much cheaper to acquire).
- [Moonshroud Gloves] – Tailoring (BoE)
Have lots of money and no time or interest in running instances to gear up? These gloves are nearly identical to the [Overlook Handguards] .
- [Gloves of Glistening Runes] – Keristrasza in the Nexus (Heroic)
While these gloves do have a bit of wasted critical strike rating, they also include a red gem slot which is clearly OM NOM NOM.
- [Grotto Mist Gloves] – Hadronox in Azjol’Nerub (Heroic)
The only leather option, the [Grotto Mist Gloves] include a red socket with a +4 Spirit socket bonus.
- [Sterile Flesh-Handling Gloves] – Ebon Blade Revered
These have the highest Intellect and Stamina values of any of the ILevel 200 gloves and share the highest Spell Power value with [Gloves of the Crystal Gardener].
- [Gloves of Distorted Time] – Chrono-Lord Epoch in the Culling of Stratholme (Heroic) Includes a yellow socket, ideal for an Intellect or Intellect/Spell Power gem. Unfortunately, the socket bonus is +4 Stamina.
- [Gloves of the Crystal Gardener] – Ormorok the Tree-Shaper in Nexus (Heroic)
High Spirit and great spell power from an easily farmable boss make these a good choice.
- [Earthgiving Legguards] – Leatherworking (BoE)
Easily the best choice for a Restoration Druid just beginning Naxxramas, you can generally find these on the Auction House for around 1,000 gold.
- [Kilt of the Forgotten One] – Herald Volazj in Ahn’kahet: The Old Kingdom (Heroic)
Your only leather option of the ILevel 200 legs, the [Kilt of the Forgotten One] has a good amount of Stamina and Spell Power as well as the highest Spirit value.
- [Breeches of the Caller] – Ingvar the Plunderer in Utgarde Keep (Heroic)
While these pants have the lowest Spell Power of any of the ILevel 200 legs, they have the highest Intellect, making them a good choice to bolster mana regeneration. As a bonus, they also include red and blue gem slots.
- [Cyanigosa’s Leggings] – Cyanigosa in the Violet Hold (Heroic)
These legs have nice, well-rounded stats. They are probably slightly easier to acquire than the [Opposed Stasis Leggings] (whose stats are identical) because of the easy access to and lower completion time of the Violet Hold instance.
- [Opposed Stasis Leggings] – Commander Kolurg or Commander Stoutbeard in the Nexus (Heroic)
Identical to [Cyanigosa’s Leggings].
- [Arcanic Tramplers] – Alexstrasza’s Gift in The Eye of Eternity (25-Man)
Despite dropping in a raid instance, these boots are BoE and can be picked up off the auction house. More Intellect, Stamina, and Spell Power than the [Earthgiving Boots] (though 6 less Spirit), and the smidge of haste won’t kill you (just don’t tell the Tree League).
- [Boots of Septic Wounds] – Patchwerk or Gluth in Naxxramas (25-Man)
With a +16 Spirit gem in the blue socket, these would be slightly better than the [Earthgiving Boots], though the difference is such that you might base your decision on which you could buy cheaper.
- [Earthgiving Boots] – Leatherworking (BoE)
Epic leather. ‘Nuff said.
- [Boots of Transformation] – Gal’darah of Gundrak (Heroic)
These are pretty close to the [Footwraps of Teleportation], having a red slot instead of a yellow and preferring Spirit over Intellect. These, however, are leather and so are ranked higher in desirability.
- [Footwraps of Teleportation] – Xevozz in The Violet Hold (Heroic)
Has a yellow slot and plenty of Intellect. May be more difficult to acquire than the [Boots of Transformation] given the random assortment of bosses that can appear in Violet Hold.
- [Aurora Slippers] – Tailoring (BoE)
While these only have an iLevel of 187, I’m including them because they’re probably going to be pretty cheap to acquire.