Humor, UI Addons
|Okay, this is a little ridiculous.|
While preparing for an upcoming article on an exciting new addon, I decided I’d go ahead and run WoWAceUpdater since it’s been a few weeks since I last did so. “Updating 74 addons … ” Wait, what? How many addons do I have, anyway? I double click on the shortcut to my addons folder (this shortcut is probably one of the early warning signs of addon addition). Excluding the Blizzard_* addons that come with the game, I have 115 addons installed.
Maybe this has something to do with the fact that it takes me a minute or more to log into the game or recognize a disconnection. But what can I do? I need all my beautiful, shiny bells and whistles! Don’t I? Well let’s see …
DeadlyBossMods: Yeah, I have to have that. My guild says so. Otherwise I might explode on top of someone in Gruul’s Lair and laugh because they don’t have Barkskin to keep them alive… er… I mean, apologize profusely and promise to be more careful in the future. So DBM stays. But do I really need DBM_Hyjal? DBM_TheEye? I know I’m not going to be needing DBM_BlackTemple. /sigh /delete Unfortunately, I think the author of DBM was smart enough to make these addons not actually take up memory if you aren’t in the relevant zones so I probably haven’t really helped my cause. I do feel a little better about the number of addons in my folder, though.
Atlasloot: The addon for those of us who like to look at items we can only see otherwise by hanging around in Shattrath. I don’t think I need the addons for “Old Instances”, “World Loot”, or “Outdoor Raids.” /delete
ArkInventory: It’s a memory hog, to be sure. But once you’ve actually played with ArkInventory, you’d rather play without your right arm than having to manage your inventory using the default interface. (Gah, individual BAGS?!) It stays.
Minimalist: Tell me I’m not the only who sees the irony here. I don’t actually remember what this addon does (always a good sign). A little GoogleFu and I discover … that there are a lot of pages on the Interwebs with the words “Warcraft”, “addon”, and “Minimalist.” So I give in and go find the page on WoWAce.com. Ah, this is the addon that automatically declines duels for me, automatically repairs my gear. It does a few other things, but I discover that these are functions that are handled by other addons. /delete
InFlight: This estimates the total time it’s going to take you to reach your final destination. I probably can live without this. /delete
So I’m down to 97 non-Blizzard addons. That’s a little better, but I’m feeling like Spring Cleaning so let’s see what else I can lose:
- Aloft: Makes nameplates pretty. It’s painful since I’m such a fan of aesthetics tweaks, but /delete.
- Autobar: Love it. Can’t do without it. Mr. Phae actually keeps a pair of vertical bars with all his consumables on it (you should see his Windows desktop). I sneakily installed Autobar once, and he either decided not to say anything or didn’t notice. I feel better, though. It stays.
- Bartender3: Best. Buttons. Ever. Makes using and tweaking my Nostromo a breeze.
- !BugGrabber and BugSack: For someone who runs as many addons as I do, these two are practically essential since they hide the errors that pop up when a particular addon is using outdated code.
- Bulkmail: This addon used to allow you to send 20 or so items to people through the mail system. With Patch 2.3, it’s superfluous so /delete.
- Cartographer: Lets me stalk Valenna (and other guildmates who have it installed), even when we aren’t grouped. Also records the locations of mining nodes, fishing pools, and herbs. I couldn’t play either of my gathering alts without it.
- Omnibus: An in-game notepad of sorts, I originally intended to use this to help me record ideas — or whole text excerpts — for my blog while raiding. But I generally just have my laptop open and write there, so this addon isn’t really needed. /delete
- ClosetGnome: I switched over to Outfitter a while ago so I can get rid of this. /delete
- DontBugMe: Hides AFK and DND messages after the first time you receive them. Nice idea, but nonessential. /delete
- FishingBuddy OutfitFrame: I don’t use FB anymore, so this can go. /delete
So after about an hour of work, I’m down to just 79 non-Blizzard addons. Not minimalist by any means, and I couldn’t really bring myself to delete any of the real memory hogs: Pitbull (unitframes), ArkInventory, or Recount (damage/healing meters), but I am loading into the game at least a little bit faster. Might it be time for you to do some Spring cleaning?