Thanks to the generosity of a reader who asked to remain anonymous, I’m now the ecstatic owner of a beta account for Wrath of the Lich King! The reader in question e-mailed me yesterday afternoon, surprised that I hadn’t yet gotten my hands on a beta key and generously offering me the one he had. Once Valenna pried me off the ceiling over my cubicle, I accepted his offer. I tried to send my benefactor a Tree-Shirt to say “thank you,” but he graciously declined.
By the time I got home from work yesterday and got the beta client installed and patched, it was 11 o’clock, so I didn’t have as much time to play as I would have liked. I managed to convince myself not to call in sick to work today, but I’m watching the clock for 5 PM! In my so far limited time in Northrend, I did discover a few things I thought worth sharing:
- Playing with the default UI is painful. Most addons aren’t WotLK-ready, yet, including any of the mainstream action bars. Luckily, WoWInterface.com has created a whole new category for those addons that are working in the WotLK beta, including a new action bar addon called N52Bar that’s modeled after the layout of my Nostromo game pad. That’s all I’ve installed so far, but I’m going to add a few more tonight, including agUnitframes, Outfitter, and hopefully Baggins.
- There are a lot of monsters in Northrend. A lot. And they all want to eat me. Also, much like fiery ground effects, floating ziggurats = bad.
- Phaelia looks much better with no marks on her face. I’m so happy that they’re allowing us to remove/change them. I ended up picking the Dwarven hairstyle with the hair pulled loosely back to the nape of your neck with a single braid. Very Gaelic chic. I’ll probably change again tonight. At 12 gold a haircut, it’s a good thing I brought a bunch of money with me!
- Respecs only cost a copper on Beta. That made the accidental misclick of 2 points in Natural Perfection a LOT less frustrating. It also means that I’ll get to play with lots of different talent specs.
- I love the new learned pets and mounts system. It was really nice to be able to clear out so much bank space, though a bit disconcerting when my Frost saber POOFED on me when I went to mount for the first time! (I seriously freaked out before I remembered that he had been added to my mounts list.)
If you also happen to have a beta key and have an active character on the PvE server, please say hello! My character name there is THAELIA (the name “Phaelia” was taken /shakes fist at her impersonator). Maybe if there are enough of us that are as-yet-unattached, we could form an all-Druid, all-the-time guild. If we do, we’re totally getting a rabbit tabard to symbolize our ongoing dedication to acquiring Critter Form! We could even call the guild, “Critter Form or Bust” I’m soooo not getting tells now, am I?
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.