Reader Seperioth of the Venture Co (US) writes in with this question regarding the Leotheras the Blind fight in Serpentshrine Caverns:
My guild is attempting Leotheras the Blind in SSC. When Leo spawns your mirror demon on you, I run into trouble.
I got mine once, and [another Resto Druid] got his once. I got mine down 25% before the raid wiped... and he almost got his killed before the demon killed him.
My question is... as a Resto Druid is there anything I can do to work through this? My DPS as Resto is almost non-existent. I also get squished by my demon's hard hits.
I stack Stamina gems wherever I can and Stamina patches, but I still get smacked down.
So I was wondering if you or anyone you knew had an idea on how Restos should go at this fight.
Since my guild has currently stalled out after taking down Lurker, I haven't seen this fight personally. But I'm not opposed to doing some research. WoWWiki.com describes this ability as follows:
- Around ~25s into the Demon Form phase, Leotheras will summon an Inner Demon from up to five raid members.
- Inner Demons spawn with ~11,000 health.
- Each Inner Demon can be attacked only by the person it spawned from. You have 30 seconds to kill your own Inner Demon. If Leotheras returns to humanoid form while your Inner Demon is still alive, you will become Mind Controlled for 10 minutes (non-removable except through death).
- Inner Demons hit for very little and can easily be healed through, dealing ~1000 damage melee and casting a 3.5k damage Shadow Bolt (reflectable!).
- Inner Demons take increased damage from Arcane, Nature, and Holy spells.
- Inner Demons will not be summoned on the person with aggro.
- Hunters, Warlocks, Shamans, Mages and even Priests should make sure their pet doesn't get the killing blow; the Mind Control is only prevented if the player's character deals the death blow.
And from the Leotheras the Blind Guide from Equisite Pain of Proudmoore (US):
You have approximately 30 seconds to kill your Inner Demon and it should be the only thing you focus on if you have one. If you do not kill it in the time given then you will be Mind Controlled and the raid will have to kill you. Some classes may find it hard to deal with the Inner Demon. Here are some suggestions for each class:
Resto Druids: Change your weapon and go into Caster form, spam Wrath and Insect Swarm. Have at least +500 spell damage.
So from this, we can infer the following:
- At this level of progression, you're likely to have around 1500 or more +Healing. That converts to the 500 or more of the spell damage that Exquisite Pain recommends. A weapon swap to a high spell damage weapon wouldn't be a bad idea, though, assuming you have access to one that will give you more spell damage than does your healing weapon.
- Wrath spam is better DPS than is Starfire spam (at the expense of lower DPM, but this is an issue of generating burst) and doesn't suffer as much from spellcasting delay woes. You should also keep Moonfire ticking away on your demon and use Insect Swarm if you have it since your Inner Demon is susceptible to both Nature and Arcane damage.
While the DPS from Thorns isn't stellar, there's no reason not to use it for this fight.Avoid using any form of damage shield for this fight. If your Mirror Image dies due to damage taken from Thorns, you won't get credit for the killing blow and will get mind controlled (ouch!). (Thanks to Dellan for this information!)
- You should not be healing yourself unless absolutely necessary. Even casting a Lifebloom is using a GCD that could otherwise have been spent to cast Wrath, Moonfire, or Insect Swarm. Trust in your other healers to keep you alive.
- Use Barkskin. That will reduce the damage you take by 20%, 40% of the total time you're facing your Demon. If possible, pop it while she's winding up for her first Shadow Bolt. It affects spell damage, too, and will let you get off a few Wrath spells that won't be delayed by incoming damage. For this reason, it's great to use when you already have your DoTs running. (To take full advantage of the spellcasting delay prevention, I'd avoid casting anything insta-cast unless you need to do so to stay alive.)
- If you have a +Healing trinket like the [Essence of the Martyr], use it. The EoM will grant you an additional 100 spell damage for 20 seconds (66% of the fight against your Demon). That's also a 20% increase to your +Damage, assuming you're running 500 spell damage. This works even better if you have a spell damage trinket such as [Xi'ri's Gift].
- Consider using consumables like spell damage food ([Crunchy Serpent] or [Poached Bluefish]) or [Superior Wizard Oil]. These are easy and relatively cheap increases to your spell damage.
- If you're still having trouble, consider speccing into 5/5 Starlight Wrath, shaving 0.5 seconds off the casting time of your Wrath spell. This could represent up to a 25% increase to your DPS output when spamming Wrath and will make your Wrath easier to cast when Barkskin is on cooldown.
These are just some extrapolated strategies from what I've been able to read about the fight. I'd love to hear from a few of you who have actually seen this fight.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.