I finally gave in. After spending hours trying to simulate behavior on Blogger that was supposedly easy to implement via WordPress and months of silent but growing jealousy of several great Priest blogs, I rerolled Resto4Life as a WordPress blog. There’s a world of difference between the two and here are a few of the things I’ve learned so far:
- You can directly import your posts from Blogger to WordPress … assuming your Webhost has OpenSSL included as part of its PHP install. Mine did not so I had to create a separate blog through the WordPress site, import my Blogger posts to that, and then export them to XML so that I could import them into the WordPress install on my custom domain. A headache but still a huge time saver over importing each post manually!
- WordPress eats some HTML code. It’s completely borked my item displays! I’ll have to spend some time and effort sorting that out.
- You have to be willing to get your hands dirty to really leverage the power of WordPress. All those shiny plugins and modules that first attracted me to using WordPress don’t install and configure themselves. More so than with Blogger, I’m having to delve into actual code.
- While you may really, really, really love your Season 2 PvP armor, it doesn’t necessarily make for a very inviting web site appearance. One of the reasons it took me so long to get up and running was struggling with a new design based around the Druid’s Merciless Gladiator set. The result, while authentic, was pretty dreary. I finally gave up and applied the colors from my Blogger blog to a more modernized layout.
- Categories are not tags. When you import from Blogger, it automatically converts all your tags to Categories. I think I ended up with something like 60 categories after importing which looked pretty silly. I deleted them all and restricted each post to a maximum of 3 categories out of 15 that I intend to serve as a catch all. I should probably retag all my posts (WordPress allows for both Categories and Tags), but the prospect of rereading and labelling 120+ posts is less than appealing.
I haven’t finished moving in yet and still have a few things to sort out, mostly setting up the WordPress blogroll plugin to display in my sidebar (sorry — I’m working on it), finalizing my layout, and sorting out a few remaining aesthetic glitches. Overall, I’ve been very pleased with how easy it was to make a transition. For those of you out there who have WordPress blogs of your own, do you have any sagely advice to share with me? Are there any plugins you would recommend?
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.