With the recent announcement that the mana regeneration while casting talents — Meditation, Arcane Meditation, and Intensity — will be changing in Patch 2.3 to restore an additional 15% of mana while casting (up to 30% from 15%), I knew I’d have to revisit my previous article, Mystery No More: Spirit and MP5, since much of it is based around the idea that Intensity gives a 15% return. Unfortunately, I lost the original spreadsheet used to crunch the numbers and spent a number of days looking for it before finally resigning myself to recreating it from scratch.
Rather than only evaluating mana regeneration from Spirit at the new 30% Intensity, I also recalculated it at 15% for comparison’s sake. Once again, I’ve graphed it over the % time spent within the Five Second Rule and according to the use of the following talents and abilities:
- Intensity (both 2.2 and 2.3 versions)
- Living Spirit
- Possible combinations of the above
Here’s the graph of the new Intensity vs. the old Intensity. Future values are shown in a darker shade of the plots of their current values (eg. Red for “2.3 Living Spirit + Innervate“, pink for the current value.
From this graph, note the following:
- With 2.2 Intensity, you would need to be inside the 5SR (considered casting) no more than 32.5% of the time for the value of Spirit relative to MP5 to match that which is currently budgeted by Blizzard. With 2.3 Intensity, that number is increased to 40%. With Living Spirit, the number increases from 45% to 53%. With Intensity and Innervate, the number increases from 62.5% to 78%. With Living Spirit, Intensity, and Innervate, the number goes from 75% to 92.5%.
- Assuming a Druid has both Intensity and is using her Innervate at every opportunity, the changes to Intensity with Patch 2.3 will make the value of Spirit much more closely match that currently being assigned in Item Values, especially if she is able to remain outside the 5SR 22% or more of the time.
- Even if you were always within the 5SR (Lifebloom maintenance) and assuming you are using Innervate at every opportunity, 1 MP5 will be approximately worth 3.1 Spirit (down from 4.3 prior to Patch 2.3). With Living Spirit, 1MP5 is worth approximately 2.8 Spirit (down from 3.7 prior to Patch 2.3). That’s an increase of value in Spirit by 28%, 24% if you factor in Living Spirit (the additional mana regenerated with Living Spirit is outweighed by the mana regenerated by Innervate so even though you will get a substantial increase, the rate of increase is not as high).
Factoring in Blessing of Kings
By popular request, I’ve added a graph that compares the valuation of Spirit relative to MP5 with Blessing of Kings, using the 2.3 value for Intensity (30% mana regeneration while casting). Non-BoK values are graphed in a lighter color than their BoK values and, as one might expect, the 1.1 factor on total Spirit causes each plot to shift slightly down:
For information behind the calculation of these values, please see my previous article Mystery No More: Spirit and MP5.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.